- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan
- macOS 10.12 Sierra
An older version of CCC is still available for users running Snow Leopard and Lion. Note that this version is not actively being developed and support is provided on a case-by-case basis.
- HFS+ formatted partition or hard drive is required for a bootable backup of macOS
- AFP and SMB network file systems
- Backup of user data is supported on some non-HFS+ filesystems
- CCC will not clone to or from an unformatted or unmounted device — the source and destination must have a filesystem recognized by macOS and visible in the Finder
- Hard drives in Firewire, eSATA, Thunderbolt and USB enclosures *
- CCC will not backup directly to optical media (e.g. CD-ROM or DVD-ROM)
- CCC is supported only on machines that officially support OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (or higher)
- A minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 is required
* Not all hard drive enclosures are capable of booting macOS. Check with the manufacturer of your hard drive enclosure to verify that booting from the enclosure is explicitly supported. See the Preparing a hard drive for use with Carbon Copy Cloner and Help! My clone won't boot sections of the CCC documentation for more information on disk formatting, partitioning, and general bootability concerns. These restrictions apply to the ability of the device to boot a Mac, any of these devices are suitable for general backup.