Finally! We're ready to open the CCC beta testing gates!
I know, you all have been waiting forever for this, right? You probably think we're taking our sweet time getting CCC qualified on Apple's next OS, but I want to assure you that that couldn't be further from the truth. Apple has finally resolved a showstopper bug with the release of a seventh developer preview, and now we're ready to open up our own beta testing program. I'm sorry it took this long, but that's the nature of beta OS releases -- they have bugs!
We're testing more than just an update for Apple's next OS, though. Our team has spent the last 18 months tearing CCC down to studs and completely rebuilding it. I'm very proud to announce the next major version of CCC: Carbon Copy Cloner 4. The complete list of changes could fill a book, the really long list that I've included below is just the big stuff.
What's New in Carbon Copy Cloner 4
- The main task configuration window and the scheduled tasks window have been consolidated. Tasks can be saved, scheduled, and edited, all in the same window.
- Configuring a backup task is far simpler -- complex settings are hidden by default, but accessible at the click of a button.
- Menubar application for quick access to information about CCC backup tasks
- Current task progress
- Last run status
- Last run and next run dates
- The ability to open CCC to a specific task
- Start and stop tasks
- Defer a task that is currently running
- Unobtrusively indicates when errors have occurred in a backup task
- Menubar icon indicates whether a task is running, and a simple icon next to each task indicates progress.
- Tasks can be chained together to form more complex backup routines
- New runtime conditions offer more control over when and how scheduled tasks run:
- Run only on week days or only on weekend days
- Wait for another task to finish if that other task is writing to the same destination
- By default tasks will not start if a laptop is running on battery power, and the task will start as soon as AC power is restored
- A Task History window indicates when a task ran and whether it was successful. All history events are listed in one window, and can be sorted by task name, source/destination name, start time, and status.
- Email account settings are now specified in CCC's preferences. Test email notifications are now much more proactive about reporting configuration errors.
- Customizable email templates
- Simplified interface for customizing filters. Filters are now explicitly retained per-... Read More